Thursday, December 4, 2014

Answering the why...

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what people may have thought when we first shared our news.I am sure that there were probably many reactions and I am also sure one of those reactions was probably one of question the big "WHY?!" Why would a family who is able to have children adopt a child? Why would you want to do this?

My short answer is "why not?" why not provide a home for a child who so desperately longs for one? Why not bring a child who wants a family into a family like ours? Why not? That my friends is the short answer. 

The longer answer is this, I have dreamed for a very long time that adoption would be part of my family structure, this dream was born out of seeing children on the streets and in orphanages who only want to belong and to have someone love them. I have felt called and compelled to be a voice for those children and I wasn't really sure what that would look like or when that dream would happen until recently. 

The other part of the answer is because if my husband, Derek,  were born in the country our little boy is in he would most likely be in an orphanage himself. With his heart and hearing issues he would almost certainly be considered worthless and be left by his family and this makes me crazy!! My husband is amazing and anything but worthless and there are many children who just need to be told this as well, to be given a chance in this world. 

The little boy who we are pursuing is deaf and it is likely that this is the reason he is where he is and to me that is unacceptable, to me he should not be defined by his inabilities but his abilities. I cannot wait to show him how valued he really is.

We know that this will not be easy and we are so grateful for all the kind words that people have been sending us. We have the application in our possession and are quickly working to send that in this week so that we can be committed and share even more great news with you all. 

Please keep us in your prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment